Skip to Questions

Answers From Your Library - Just Ask Us A Question!

Q

I heard honey can be harmful to infants and small children. Is this true, and why is it?

Last Updated: Aug 15, 2012  |  50 Views

Was this helpful? 1   0
A

Answer

From the National Honey Board-- Honey may contain bacterial spores that can cause infant botulism - a rare but serious disease that affects the nervous system of young babies (under one year of age). Botulism spores are common and may be found in dust, soil and uncooked foods. Adults and children over one year of age are routinely exposed to, but not normally affected by, botulism spores. DO NOT add honey to your baby's food, water or formula. DO NOT dip your baby's pacifier in honey. DO NOT give your baby honey as medicine.

Other Answers / Comments (0)